Neither CSAS nor the safeguarding offices in England and Wales provide an emergency or 24 hour service. If you wish to report a child or adult being in immediate danger or requiring immediate medical attention, contact the emergency services without delay on 999.
To report other safeguarding allegations or concerns please contact your local safeguarding office which can be located using the interactive map on the links page of this website. Contact details for the diocese will be shown when you click on the relevant area of the map.
Any referrals made directly to CSAS will be immediately passed to the local safeguarding office for further action as appropriate. Where appropriate, CSAS will refer matters directly to the statutory authorities.
If you have been hurt by abuse you can talk to your safeguarding coordinator or other agencies such as those listed below.
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
- Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 ((lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Samaritans Helpline: 08457 90 90 90 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm)
Making a complaint about safeguarding services
CSAS does not and cannot investigate complaints about the actions of Dioceses and Religious Congregations. Neither does CSAS act as a complaint adjudicator deciding if complaints are upheld. Instead, the complaint is referred to the most appropriate authority or person for resolution.
Although CSAS does not investigate or act as adjudicator, they will always seek to listen and show genuine empathy and concern for what a complainant has to say. CSAS strives to be approachable and to convey a safe and trusting environment for open discussion.
For more information about making a complaint about safeguarding services, please see the Information Sheet in the Procedures Manual section on this website.
Members of CSAS
Dr Colette Limbrick
Safeguarding Service Manager